Bloodwork is a huge part of understanding your pet’s overall health. Needles are sometimes scary for pets, but our technicians are experienced in making the process go smoothly. Our laboratory performs cytology, hematology, serum chemistry, and urinalysis. Blood tests can diagnose illnesses and determine how well certain organs are functioning.
Why would bloodwork be recommended for my pet?
Bloodwork is not only recommended when your pet is unwell; it can be used as a form of preventative medicine. Here are some other reasons why your veterinarian may recommend bloodwork for your pet:
- Your pet has a wellness exam.
- Pre-anesthetic testing. If your pet has an upcoming procedure, they will need bloodwork to detect possible health problems.
- They are starting a new medication. Before starting a new medication, it is important to understand the state of their organs, like liver and kidney.
- To detect parasites like heartworms.
How long does it take to get the results?
We have an in-house laboratory perfectly capable of providing prompt results. Our trained technicians can run blood tests and provide same-day results.
How should I prepare my pet for bloodwork?
Some general recommendations include:
- Fasting for at least 6 hours before they have bloodwork done
- Ensure your pet is well hydrated
- Keep your pet rested and relaxed, as physical activity can change the results