We understand how stressful it can be when your pet suffers an emergency outside regular office hours. To help reduce your stress, we would like to provide guidance on how you should seek medical care if an emergency arises.
With the advancement of telemedicine virtual consultation, you will continue to be able to speak with a trusted team of RVTs and Veterinarians through SmartVet’s virtual pet care services, available to all pet owners 24/7. They will help you determine if your pet requires an in-person emergency visit. If your pet does require in-person care, it will be necessary to travel outside of the Grey Bruce area.
If you believe your pet is suffering from an urgent or emergency condition, please follow these steps:
- Emergency Contact Information: Contact our hospital at 519-389-2020. If we are closed, follow voicemail instructions for emergency triage. You will be instructed to call our telemedicine emergency line, SmartVet at 1-888-243-1411 for next steps.
- Speak with an RVT: When you call SmartVet at 1-888-243-1411, you will speak directly to an Ontario Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT), who will assess your pet’s situation. If an in-person visit is required, they will arrange a transfer. Alternatively, they may guide you through setting up a virtual appointment, which may take a few minutes and involves payment via Credit Card, Debit Card, or e-transfer.
- Virtual Consultation Queue: You will join a queue for your virtual consultation. If your pet’s condition changes during this wait, contact the RVT for reassessment.
- Virtual Consultation Process: During your virtual consultation, the veterinarian may request video/photos to aid in the process and may prescribe medications. Records of this consultation will be forwarded to us the next business day so we can follow up if further treatment is required.
- In-Person Care Arrangement: At the end of your virtual consultation, if the veterinarian believes that your pet should be seen in person, they will arrange a transfer to the facility most suitable to your pet’s expected level of care and provide you with further instructions.
We understand that this process is much different from how emergency care was previously accessed in our area. As the demand for veterinary medical care evolves, these changes allow us to continue to provide care for our patients during regular business hours.
We continue to encourage owners to seek timely care during regular hours for urgent, chronic or changing medical conditions whenever possible, as this avoids the need to travel outside the area for the treatment of such conditions.
We appreciate your understanding and continued trust in our veterinary clinic. Thank you for allowing us to care for your beloved pets. We look forward to serving you and your furry family members during our regular hours and continue to provide them with the best care possible.
Below is a list of emergency hospitals and their distance from our practice:
Campus Estates Animal Hospital (149 km)
1460 Gordon St, Guelph, ON, N1L 1C8
*Not open 24 hours
Huronia Veterinary Emergency Clinic (165 km)
391 Dunlop St W, Barrie, ON, L4N 1C3
Veterinary Emergency, Urgent Care and Referral Clinic of York Region (196 km)
1210 Journey’s End Cir, Newmarket, ON L3Y 8Z6
404 Veterinary Emergency and Referral Hospital (200 km)
510 Harry Walker Pkwy S, Newmarket, ON, L3Y 0B3
Mississauga Oakville Veterinary Emergency Hospital (205 km)
2285 Bristol Cir, Oakville, ON, L6H 6P8
Lakeshore Animal Health Partners (206 km)
806 Southdown Road, Mississauga, ON L5J 2Y4
Vaughan-Richmond Hill Veterinary Emergency Clinic (213 km)
10303 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 3B9
Toronto Animal Health Partners (224 km)
1 Scarsdale Rd, North York, ON M3B 2R2
Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Toronto (233 km)
920 Yonge St Suite 117, Toronto, ON, M4W 3C7