• Fleas do not live in the environment as adults, they live on the pet
• The average live span of an adult flea is 3 weeks
• While living on a pet, adult female fleas can produce several thousand eggs!
• Eggs fall into the environment from the pet’s hair coat where they progress through their life cycle to become adults ready to jump onto the pet
• Flea eggs and larvae are very resistant to the environment and can live as long as 1 year before developing into adult fleas
• Pets can bring fleas in from the outdoors (carried by rabbits and other wild animals) or they can be transferred from clothing after being picked up when visiting another household with a flea problem
Start flea prevention early, before fleas appear, so household infestations never occur.
Advantage: a solution that is easily applied to the skin of dogs and cats each month during flea season. Fleas are killed on contact.
Revolution: a solution that is applied to the skin monthly that is effective to prevent fleas as well as heartworm, mange mites and some intestinal worms. Revolution will not wash off if your dog is a swimmer. Advantage Multi is a similar product.
Program: Available as an injection for cats – a single injection gives 6 months protection or as a monthly oral pill for dogs.
Ovicollar: An effective, economical way to prevent fleas. Cat collars are effective for 12 months and dog collars for 8 months.
FLEA ALLERGY DERMATITIS:
When the flea bites a pet for a blood meal it injects a tiny amount of saliva under the skin to prevent blood from clotting and thus allowing a liquid meal. Flea saliva acts as a foreign protein when injected into the skin causing a severe allergic reaction leading to intense itchiness and skin swelling. Hair loss and deep skin infection can accompany the intense irritation. Treatment includes therapy for the skin problems, the allergy and fastidious flea control to stop further flea bites.
We use 3 different types of cookies on our website. You can say which ones you're happy for us to use below.
These cookies do things like keep the website secure. They always need to be on.