Grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs! The specific pathogen in grapes that causes toxicity has yet to be identified and surprisingly cats do not seem to be as susceptible to grape toxicity. Ingestion of grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure.
The lowest recorded amounts that caused acute kidney failure are:
Smaller amounts could cause problems and it is not known exactly what the minimum dose is. It is also recommended to avoid giving grape juice to dogs and cats.
SIGNS: Decreased appetite, depression, diarrhea, vomiting, increased thirst, increased urination and weight loss.
TREATMENT: There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. Treatment can include the induction of vomiting, administration of activated charcoal, administration of intravenous fluids and monitoring of kidney function, as well as other supportive care.
The outcome in a case where kidney failure develops is guarded at best. If early decontamination and fluid therapy is initiated, the outcome is good.
PREVENTION: Please protect your household and keep grapes and raisins safely away from dogs and cats. If ingestion of grapes and raisins does occur, contact a veterinarian immediately.
We use 3 different types of cookies on our website. You can say which ones you're happy for us to use below.
These cookies do things like keep the website secure. They always need to be on.